Carl du Plessis is a Clinical Psychologist registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and the Board of Healthcare Funders (BHF). Carl completed his undergraduate and honours studies at the University of the Witwatersrand. He then went on to complete his masters degree in Clinical Psychology at the University of Pretoria.
Carl assists adults, adolescents, pre-teens and children, as well as couples and families with various psychological, behavioral and emotional challenges.
Carl believes in a two-person therapy. This means that he recognizes that both therapist and the client contribute to the therapeutic process. Carl predominantly works from the framework of schema therapy. Schema therapy is an integrative method that is evidence-based. Carl is trained in various psychotherapeutic frameworks and believes that psychotherapy should be adapted to the needs of the individual.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Client-centred therapy
- Child-centred play therapy
- Cognitive-behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical-behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Emotion focused therapy\ emotion-focused couples therapy
- Family therapy
- Humanistic\person-centered therapy
- Play therapy
- Play therapy based on theraplay principles
- Psychodynamic\ psychoanalytic Therapy
- Schema focused therapy
Individual psychotherapy for adults
Individual psychotherapy for adolescents
Play therapyChild therapy
Experience & Qualifications
- Itsoseng Clinic (provided psychotherapy and psychological assessments to children, adolescents and adults)
- Weskoppies Psychiatric Hospital (Acute Adolescent Unit, Complex Mood and Anxiety Disorders Unit & Forensic Unit)
- Sterkfontein Psychiatric Hospital (Acute Male Unit & Forensic Unit)
- General Bachelor of Arts (WITS)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Psychology (WITS)
- Masters in Clinical Psychology (UP)
- International Society of Schema Therapy (ISST)
- South African Psychoanalytic Institute (SAPI)
- Health Professions Council of South Africa – PS 0145726 (HPCSA)
- Board of Healthcare Funders (BHF) – 0942979
Psychotherapy can assist with Depression and Bipolar Disorders, Anxiety Disorders (incl. Separation Anxiety), Eating Disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge-eating), Substance-related problems and self-harm behaviours, Addiction, Trauma and Abuse, Personality Disorders, Relationship problems and conflicts (couple, family), Loss and Bereavement, Work-related stress and issues, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Parent-Child relational difficulties, Personal Growth and Development.
Rates & Fees
Payments can be done via cash or EFT. Clients will receive an invoice that they can submit to their medical aids for reimbursement.
Cancellations must be done 24 hours before your appointment or you will be charged for the session.
The Rivonia Family practice is located in Edenburg, Sandton. When you enter 10th Avenue from Rivonia Drive, heading towards Rivonia Bouldevard, the parking entrance is located immediately on your right. From the covered parking area, take the lift to the first floor where you will find the reception area on your right.
Independent Practice Clinical Psychologist (PS 0145726)